• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 whitley

whitley
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:52 AM

Hey folks im new to the website first post lol
I was just wondering if anyone can shed any light on if there is life in lifting after re accuring back injurys
Im 30 got 3 damaged discs no herniations just broad buldges and annular tear etc
Symtoms have calmed down a lot recently and ive been training well and feeling great but i seem to have a relapse now n then today it was barbell rows thats the only type of movement that hurts me i was going kinda heavy and felt a sharp stabbing pain in the low back left the gym felt ok now very stiff and a bit sore
Just wondering if anyone has ever came back from this type of thing fully or will it always be there and have to work around it

Thanks folks

#2 T_M

T_M
  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • Discipline:Crosstrainer
  • Stats:6'3", 225

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:46 PM

I'll let the experts weigh in on your particular injuries and prognosis, but I would look at this as an opportunity to evaluate your training and training philosophy...even though you're still young. Playing hurt can be okay but can also turn into chronic injuries that can nag you for the rest of your life.  Too many lifters crippled in middle age who didn't listen to their bodies when they had the chance.  That was me to a certain extent.  Finally I started to change my training and have found renewed strength and fitness. My shoulder won't allow me to bench, but I can overhead press without pain...running for cardio killed my knees and ankles, so I started rowing...low bar back squats ruined my adductors and aggravated knee tendonitis, but no such problems with front squats...I moved away from most of those PL type static lifts that created these hardships and changed to dynamic compound lifts like (predominantly) power cleans and other OL variations. These changes and others gave me greater longevity in my training and at just a couple months shy of 56, I'm still hitting PRs and pretty much pain free too.

#3 whitley

whitley
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:47 AM

My training was going great i love the big 3 but i pull sumo for extra safety and my backs always been fine but conventional deads anf bent over rows is what messes me up ive tried addin in a lot of core work a lot back stabilisin and traction work,things was going great and then something happened yesterday and put me back to square 1 again i love strength training and my back feels great after squats n deads but there just seems to be a weak link in the back somewhere

#4 RJorg

RJorg
  • Members
  • 1,348 posts
  • Discipline:Powerlifter
  • Stats:5'9", 190lb

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:09 AM

I would ditch heavy bent rows for the foreseeable future. If you want a heavy row, do chest supported or seal rows. Everyone's situation is different but I too have come back from crippling low back issues. So it is possible. But you have to stay away from the specific exercises and weights that will jack you up.

I would also be mindful of total low-back taxing volume during the week. For example, if you're going heavy on squats and sumo deads, don't also go heavy on rows (or maybe do "heavy" rows after deadlifting). The idea is to maximize the recovery time between taxing lifts by concentrating them into one or two days per week.

#5 whitley

whitley
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:02 AM

Rjorg did you do anything specefic for your back rehab or just a slow progress back into it

#6 RJorg

RJorg
  • Members
  • 1,348 posts
  • Discipline:Powerlifter
  • Stats:5'9", 190lb

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:16 AM

Rjorg did you do anything specefic for your back rehab or just a slow progress back into it

McKenzie extensions with and without a band, lots of glute soft tissue work, proper hip flexor work (e.g. couch stretch, but make sure you squeeze the glutes), sleeping with a pillow under the mid-back, variety of banded traction stretches. Takes a lot of time. That's just what worked for me, you have to find your own path.

#7 MindofShadow

MindofShadow

Chiro to LIFT's Finest

• 2,479 posts
  • Discipline:Gym Rat
  • Stats:5'8 200lbs

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:05 PM

Bent over rows are one of the first things I tell people with LBP to stop doing at the gym. 

Juice isn't worth the squeeze there at all

My awesome blog:

www.mindofshadow.com

#8 whitley

whitley
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:06 AM

Yeh they are off my list for good now lol
Im away to build a reverse hyper machine at the weekend i hope thats going to sort out the weak link ive got

#9 GreenGoblin

GreenGoblin
  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • Stats:153 lbs

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:22 PM

Hi Whitley,  Reverse hyper machine seemed to have helped Louis Simmons from what I heard.  Also, have you tried physio or chiro?  I know some are overrated but maybe worth a shot?

#10 Physiqz

Physiqz
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

I recommend you check out johnie canditoes recent videos on youtube. he is a well known and respected powerlifter who had a back injury and was able to rehab back from it. 

edit: sorry old thread but might help someone else who searches in the forum.

Edited by Physiqz, 31 March 2018 - 09:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright 2015 LIFT, LLC