3 replies to this topic

#1 dyelinek

dyelinek
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Discipline:Weightlifter
  • Stats:5'11, 190 lbs

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

I'm working the Cube/Predator method and am wondering on the day that I go for my 1RM - how should I approach going for this? It seems a balance between being warm enough but not too fatigued.  Do I keep increasing until failure? Note I am not training for a meet.  Thanks!

#2 RJorg

RJorg
  • Members
  • 1,348 posts
  • Discipline:Powerlifter
  • Stats:5'9", 190lb

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

Maybe start warm-ups as normal, then 5 reps at ~60%, 3 reps at the next step, then singles the rest of the way.

#3 MindofShadow

MindofShadow

Chiro to LIFT's Finest

• 2,479 posts
  • Discipline:Gym Rat
  • Stats:5'8 200lbs

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:39 AM

You can fail if you want on bench or OHP. I don't think that is a big deal. 

Failing on squat or DL is dumb. Potential for injury is too high and it will burn you out.

If I am maxing out, I usually have a number in my head that I think I can do or want to do. Then i'll take a single at 90% of that number and judge how it feels. If it feels great... i'll actually jump straight to the number in my head. If its just ok, i'll take 95% of the max and judge from there where to go.

My awesome blog:

www.mindofshadow.com

#4 Physiqz

Physiqz
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:08 PM

I don't think going until failure is a good idea in any scenario but will agree with mindofshadow it would be a lot better on bench or ohp. Once you are within 85% of your max i would just take singles on the way up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: powerlifting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright 2015 LIFT, LLC