• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hastalles

hastalles
  • Members
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:35 PM

Seriously. I'm so confused now. :D

Hip crease below knee.... But wtf does that even mean. What are we calling the knee exactly? If I have huge teardrops, do I now not have to squat as deep? Or is it the knee joint only, and if so then where exactly on the knee do you use as the magic point for parallel assesment? What the hell is the hip crease, and from what angle should I look to see where that is? The point where the actual femur is parallel to the ground is way above what would be called parallel I think, so that's out... (plus, that's obviously impossible to judge.) So you're left using soft tissue as the guide to parallel-ness? That can't be right...?

Personally I'm gonna continue doing whatever the fuck I want since I don't have to abide by your powerlifting rules :D but nonetheless...

What. The. Fuck. is a powerlifting legal squat???

#2 Ironwolf

Ironwolf
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

Solution. Squat below parallel.

#3 maraudermeat

maraudermeat
  • Members
  • 925 posts
  • Discipline:master of none
  • Stats:5'9", 230lbs

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

Attached Files

-Stupid should be painful.

#4 Brandon

Brandon
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:19 AM

Theoretically I'd say yeah, thicker lower quads will make the knee appear higher. I could have sworn someone mentioned wrapping knees, letting the end poke out at the top purposefully to exaggerate this same idea. If that's true, would weight gain have an opposite effect on the hip? Would the crease appear higher?

#5 RJorg

RJorg
  • Members
  • 1,348 posts
  • Discipline:Powerlifter
  • Stats:5'9", 190lb

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:05 AM

Theoretically I'd say yeah, thicker lower quads will make the knee appear higher. I could have sworn someone mentioned wrapping knees, letting the end poke out at the top purposefully to exaggerate this same idea. If that's true, would weight gain have an opposite effect on the hip? Would the crease appear higher?

Oh yeah, the chunk fills in the crease, increasing apparent hip crease height. Just look at Rob Wilkerson's 1k raw squat. I'm still not convinced it was high just because of how big the man is.

#6 hastalles

hastalles
  • Members
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:40 AM

Could you wear some kind of band around your hip crease to keep all the fat pulled in tight so that the crease was lower? :D Maybe that's the appeal of geared squats, lol.

#7 HulkingOut1984

HulkingOut1984
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • Discipline:powerlifter
  • Stats:5'7" 225

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

I like the point made about Rob Wilkerson and the same goes for Henry Thomason there legs are so huge especially there hamstrings they can pretty much sit on there calves and it may still look high to some standards. Like with Dave Hoff all angles I have seen are from the front and in a wide gear squat you need to see it from the side and with the wide foot placement and opening of the knees shortens the range of motion and alows you to get to parallel easier and sooner. The problem is some look at the knee joint to judge instead of the hip and squatting like that doesn't involve much knee bend. Either way I still think the Hoff squat is still iffy but I wasn't at the meet lol

#8 hastalles

hastalles
  • Members
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:20 PM

im 23 years old and what is this

#9 Physiqz

Physiqz
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:03 PM

So a lot of people just look at the top of the leg/quad and not the patella/knee cap specifically which is where it is actually judged--in competition at least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright 2015 LIFT, LLC