Photo

Powerlifters: What Federation Do You Compete In and Why?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Powerlifters: What Federation Do You Compete In and Why? (45 member(s) have cast votes)

Your favorite federation?

1. Amateur Athletic Union Powerlifting (AAU) (1 votes [1.82%])

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

2. International Powerlifting Federation (IPF) or affiliate: USAPL, CPU, etc (20 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

3. Southern Powerlifting Federation (SPF) (6 votes [10.91%])

Percentage of vote: 10.91%

4. Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate (RPS) (8 votes [14.55%])

Percentage of vote: 14.55%

5. 100% Raw Powerlifting (RAW) (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

6. United States Powerlifting Association (USPA) (2 votes [3.64%])

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

7. United States Powerlifting Federation (USPF) (1 votes [1.82%])

8. Hardcore Powerlifting (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. American Powerlifting Association (APA) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

10. Independent Powerlifting Association (IPA) (1 votes [1.82%])

11. United Powerlifting Association (UPA) (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

12. Other... (Mentioned below) (8 votes [14.55%])

Percentage of vote: 14.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MindofShadow

MindofShadow
  • Discipline:Gym Rat
  • Stats:5'8 195lbs

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:49 AM

What federations have you tried and continue to compete in?

What federations have you tried and do not like? Why?

Edited by RJorg, 01 May 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#2 RJorg

RJorg
  • Discipline:Powerlifter
  • Stats:5'9", 190lb

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

Only one meet, but I really like RPS (Revolution Power Syndicate). You can do Raw Modern (wraps) or Raw Classic (no wraps) in the raw divisions. Squat depth is parallel (not buried or half squat), and they have a start command for the bench.

#3 Brandon

Brandon

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

Started adding a poll for fun... then realized what I got myself into  :banghead:. Look at all those feds! I know it's missing about 30 more.

So far I've only personally done USAPL's because they were local, but I have spectated or helped with other meets (USPF, SPF, oh and I walked out on an AAU) and I like them all about equally for different reasons. Minus AAU, I wont judge that one because I didn't do the whole meet to see how that part was ran. I do find meets are very dependent on who's running them.

Here's my quick poorly thought out review:

USAPL's were a bit quiet at times, I thought that was ok, but it was not as "exciting" as the SPF and USPF meets. Like the fancy golf tournament. Staff is well dressed, usually the meets are well ran and thought out, and at times very quiet before you take your swing errr... I mean attempt. Being well ran and thought out shouldn't be taken for granted, especially at your first meet. I couldn't figure out the AAU meet to save my life, even after knowing the ropes. To make it worse, the director didn't enjoy answering questions. USAPL has no specialized bars, and you do all lifts with the same stiff bar.

USPF and SPF were fun, loud, and people seem to have a bit more fun. For a strong lack of a better term, its less serious - in a good way, but maybe more serious on the platform. Often you will warm up on different equipment than on the platform, but that's about any fed. The equipment (mainly bench) will also vary more between meets, USAPL sticks with the same equipment almost everywhere. Stronger lifters in the heavier weight classes, so you will see more weight being thrown around. Not drug tested, so there's a much higher chance of seeing some freaky lifts by monsters.

Off topic, but while writing this up I've come to realize the tested feds may highlight lighter weight class lifters a bit more, because there isn't quite the strength/size difference. Nobody cares about the 198lb guy pulling 650 at the SPF meet because there may be a big dude in back pulling that for reps in the warm up room. But, that same lift could be a highlight at state level USAPL meets. Take that however you want, maybe my vision is skewed since my SPF and USPF meets consisted of Spoto's attempts of 716 and Dan Harrison squatting. 

#4 DOA

DOA
  • Discipline:Overall Beast
  • Stats:5'8" 190

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

100% raw, 15 hour weigh ins roughly, no mono-lifts, strict judging, I like the people from my area, no geared lifting section

#5 Hedlesky

Hedlesky
  • 196 posts
  • Discipline:PowerSadder
  • Stats:6'2'' 288lbs

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

Cant answer, I only compete in the SLP. Just kidding.

I fucking hate every federation. I compete in the usapl/ipf because of the level of competition, accessibility of meets, and because the rules are strict. I've done enough meets to confidently say that the way those rules are enforced from meet to meet is absolutely not standardized.

#6 mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown
  • Stats:5'11", 220's

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

Only one meet, but I really like RPS (Revolution Power Syndicate). You can do Raw Modern (wraps) or Raw Classic (no wraps) in the raw divisions. Squat depth is parallel (not buried or half squat), and they have a start command for the bench.

I've competed in the IPA and RPS. I have no problem with the IPA but I love RPS. The meets are always fun and LOUD - which I really like. The depth of divisions is nice. You can choose to do raw with or without wraps. And like RJorg said, the judging for the most part is very fair and not extreme. From my experience the squat depth is called well (at parallel). 

I'll be doing another RPS in a few weeks.

#7 RHCP

RHCP
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:26 AM

I am going soon enough to compete in the WPF,since we are having the representation of it,here in Greece!This will be the first time and we all hope it will be a great lifting atmosphere,loud and intense!

Too many federations though...unfortunately.

Edited by RHCP, 02 May 2013 - 03:27 AM.

#8 JWatkin

JWatkin
  • Stats:5'6" 125lbs

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

CPU/IPF because there are a ton of meets. They're likely the largest Canadian Federation at least in this neck of the woods. I've done 16 meets and they've all been CPU. Mostly it's a comfort thing. I know the people. I know the rules. I'm a ref and part of the running of our organization.

Our meets aren't loud and boisterous but they are well run and efficient. Okay that sounds like a nazi death camp endorsement :( It's really fun!!

I'll agree with Hedlesky that rule enforcement doesn't seem standardized but the same can be said of any organization with people in it. People have a split second to make a call. Like I told another poster on another site, there are meets when you know for damn certain you got a gift and others when the head ref was whacking off. On balance, things are pretty even.

Edited by ouroboros, 08 May 2013 - 12:39 PM.

What doesn't kill you, doesn't kill you.

#9 MindofShadow

MindofShadow

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:20 AM

Forgot to answer my own thread lol.

I lift USAPL for a few reasons..

- There raw division is the biggest in the country (with a true nationals)... which means even at state meets there is competition.

- There styles (raw, drug tested, walked out squats, 2 hour weigh ins) fits what I do

- Strict rules... I would prefer a fed over strict than loose. 

- The meets I have been two have been ran quite well... fast and organized.

- There are lots of USAPL meets around me.

Doesn't mean it is perfect (not even close) though. 

Edited by MindofShadow, 12 May 2013 - 03:20 AM.

#10 Lester Hahn

Lester Hahn
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

I've only done a few meets and am pretty new to powerlifting.  So far I have liked  both feds I competed in.

AAPF (drug tested APF)- I did a raw only meet and it was huge.  There were 100+ lifters easily, so it made for a long day.  I thought some of the judging for squat depth was a little off, but other than that everything else was good.  There were some judges enforcing the standard too, but there were one or two that were letting high ones go.  So depending on who was side judging, it really made a difference.

SPF- Again, it was a raw only meet (pro/am).  This was judged really well.  They didn't give any lifts away, and were pretty much calling them where I would (legal).  They don't ask you to go beyond that, and in reality, that is bad judging too.  The meet moved well, and they had music and a crowd that was cheering for you. 

I like to compete raw (classic... with knee wraps).  I don't mind squat stands or a monolift, since I usually just walk it out with either one.  I like fair judging too.  Both feds offer 24hr weigh-ins, but I never took advantage of those since I had to travel for both meets.  I weighed in 2 hrs before at the APF meet and 12hrs before at the SPF one. 

NASA- I helped spot/load at one of their local meets in town.  I thought this was run pretty well too.  They offer smaller knee wraps, which I would be ok with since I wrap myself (and not very tight).  The only downside to this fed is their coefficent for best lifter.  It heavily favors the smaller guys (compared to Wilks or a lot of the others), and there is a cut-off point at 326lbs.  If you are heavier than that, your coefficent doesn't go up, so big SHW are at a large disadvantage (no pun intended).  :-)

#11 djsncman

djsncman
  • 94 posts
  • Stats:5'6" 165 lbs

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

USAPL

My reasons:

-Strict form on all 3 lifts, very strict here in NC since Jennifer Thompson is state chair and almost all the judges are national certified. 

-About 3 local meets a year here in NC

-Well run and consistent from meet to meet

-Like the people at the meets here in NC

-While I haven't been able to afford to lift in one yet, RAW Nationals

-Battle on The Border between NC and SC

Edited by djsncman, 15 May 2013 - 06:02 PM.

#12 SnatchRex

SnatchRex
  • 85 posts
  • Stats:5-9, 260

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

APF.

No other reason than I know the people who compete there and have meets locally that I can get to.

#13 DieselWeasel

DieselWeasel
  • 72 posts
  • Stats:5'6" 175

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

My favorite is the RPS, mostly for the reasons stated above. Besides everything already covered, Rychlak doesn't have any annual membership fees, only entry fees which are a reasonable price. His meets are run smoothly and efficiently, unlike others that I've either watched or participated in. Judging is fair and consistent. Also, they recently started doing meets in Long Island which is good because I hate traveling very far to compete, with the exception being Raw Unity Meet. RUM is not a federation; it's an annual meet which brings together the highest caliber of raw lifters from all feds, but still deserves to be mentioned. Talmant and Vasquez do a good job with those.

Edited by DieselWeasel, 21 June 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#14 MattyXL

MattyXL
  • Stats:5'9" 240lbs

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

WNPF..

- they have local meets.

Thats really the only reason, I plan on shifting to RPS.  I have been a little disheartened with WNPF, because its expensive ($100 membership, $100 meet cost for one division).  I thought the Judging the last two meets were inconsistent and overly strict.  They also changed rules recently to make false grip benching illegal.  I find the guys who run the meet nice enough and the lifters that I have consistently seen at meets are also cool, but it is a bit pricey.

#15 MindofShadow

MindofShadow

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

$100 membership and meet cost!!! holy freaking moly. Especially for such a small fed... how do they justify that?

#16 MattyXL

MattyXL
  • Stats:5'9" 240lbs

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

$100 membership and meet cost!!! holy freaking moly. Especially for such a small fed... how do they justify that?

Super cool Trophies....seriously

#17 Shane

Shane
  • Discipline:You Found it.
  • Stats:5'11 182

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:41 AM

I've done one USAPL meet and i'm going to do an APA meet in Nov. I just wanted to do the USAPL because I had heard it was really good about enforcing the rules and everything was pretty legit (Except for some damn reason we were doing raw and they specifically told us no wraps and some moron was making us all wait while he was wrapping for his attempt that he would automatically dq on, right?) I'm doing this APA meet just because a friend invited me to do it. I don't really know much about APA though. 

#18 marshall28

marshall28
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

I enjoyed the UPA meet I did in July.  Very well run and had plenty of big name lifters.

#19 NorthStrong

NorthStrong
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

Will be doing my first meet in the CPF (Canadian Powerlifting Federation), which is a sub-fed of the WPC. 

Anyone have experience with CPF / WPC? 

#20 MindofShadow

MindofShadow

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

I did a RAW United meet in July. It is a local fed (I think it is only in Florida and Maryland)

Pros:

- Cheap! 30 buck meet entry if you choose to not get the trophy... fuck trophies) and a 10 buck yearly membership fee. And that all comes with a tshirt.

- Similar to USAPL rules wise with how strict they were. 

- All the people working/helping, especially Spero the federation president, were super nice and super enthusiastic about powerlifting in general. Like the opposite of a USAPL ref lol.

Cons:

- Not as organized as USAPL.

- Warm Up equipment was kind of meh.

- ten thousand records and divisions and stuff. Which really don't effect me at all I just wish feds would just force people to be in an open class for more competition. 

All in all... I would go to one of their meets again. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright 2014 LIFT, LLC