• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Discipline:Powerlifter

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

165-181lb Raw, drug free Powerlifter

Current best lifts

365 Oly Squat, 350 bench, 557 deadlift

Very soon looking to hit 400, 365, 600+ come meet time...but

I'm starting this thing off with a crushed foot... smashed my gym under a barbell. I have a comp coming up very soon, and I think I'm switching to bench only--since I can't walk.

Pretty bummed about this, since training was going so well...

#2 Brandon

Brandon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

Was able to hop on one foot into the my gym today and do some feet elevated benching and pull-ups. Super weak, but it felt kinda good to get some work in.
Foot is all black and blue at this point, but is starting to feel better. Able to put a little pressure on the heel, hopefully I’ll be walking in a couple days.
Bench (feet up)
135×5
225×5
275×1 (didn’t feel great – unbalanced and wobbly)
245×5
245×5
All of them moved quickly, but were way more difficult than expected. Either because of the feet up on the bench, or I just lost a lot of barbell bench strength from not doing it for so long.
Chins w/ bodyweight
20reps
12reps
12reps
…that’s all! Hopefully I’ll have some more interesting lifting soon.

#3 Brandon

Brandon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

Might as well post an update today... I can almost walk, pretty exciting!

Competition is July 14th, not sure how training is going to be planned leading up to that, or what I'm going to do at this point. Just taking it day by day.

Thinking about running smolov jr for bench if my foot puts me out for awhile. Tired of not being able to lift, so I figure benching 4x a week would fix that problem up.

#4 Potato

Potato
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Stats:244lb

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

1 legged squats, OHP, rows and deadlifts.. Don't be a woman. :D

Can you even bench properly right now with your foot issue?

#5 Brandon

Brandon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

Haha no, not really. I can kinda walk around a little now though, so I think I'll start trying to bench with my feet down.

#6 Brandon

Brandon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

Must...squat...

Got my meet coming up in 4-5 weeks, still can't really walk at this point...

Thinking about running smolov soon as I can squat, but I probably should text my max first...but then I might run out of time, or be really depressed about how low it is. And I might get better results doing something else to gain my lost strength back...

Dunno what to do!

#7 Brandon

Brandon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

Finally got myself to limp into the gym for some heavy liftin'! Felt really good. Really happy with how today went. 345 was super close, which is only 5lbs off my absolute best, and conditions probably couldn't be much worse.

Bench
135x5
225x3
275x1
315x1
335x1
345xmiss

Going to do some chins

Something like BWx20,18,15??

All at least a few reps short of failure. Once the foots feeling better I'll strap on some weight. Last thing I need is a hanging plate banging up against my foot right now though.

#8 Potato

Potato
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Did you even use any leg drive on 335? That's pretty awesome. I betchu will smoke all previous PR's once you can get some proper leg drive behind your bench..

I would cancel on the meet and just enjoy Vegas/heal up, but I think we had that conversation. :)

#9 Brandon

Brandon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

Did you even use any leg drive on 335? That's pretty awesome. I betchu will smoke all previous PR's once you can get some proper leg drive behind your bench..

I would cancel on the meet and just enjoy Vegas/heal up, but I think we had that conversation. :)

Not sure TBH, all I know is it didn't bother my foot! I couldn't get setup as well as I normally do, but it wasn't too bad! Yeah I bet 365 will fall super soon, maybe all I need is to go back to the wider competition style bench pad. Haven't decided on that though...

I've also been throwing around the idea of trying to switch out from full meet to bench only...but idk....kinda lame to have to be there the whole day just to bench 3 times.

#10 Brandon

Brandon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

I hate rack pulls... but I'm doing them to try to give my back/glutes/hams some work. I had to do them just barely below the knee because its the only thing that I could do to keep weight entirely off the front of my foot. If I can keep all the weight on my heel, and require no knee's forward bend (ankle flexion I think the smart people call it), I'm good to go.

+ some pull-ups that didn't work out very well. I'm digging chins lately so much more.

#11 Brandon

Brandon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

Soo freakin' sore today from those deadlifts. Hamstrings, back, lower abs, all smoked.. Guess it goes to show how undertrained I am right now.

I'm wondering if I can do the hack squat machine at the gym. Keep my knees back behind my toes (so I dont put weight on the front of my hurt foot), and maybe get in some good squats like that. We will see.

Also definitely lost a lot of size during this time. Noticeably fatter and smaller.

#12 Brandon

Brandon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:18 PM

Had to go into the gym after posting that last post, and try out the hack squat. Couldn't go another day without doing some kind of squat, and I'm happy to report I could do them pretty well. I was really weak, and I don't know if my form was perfect because I didnt allow my ankle to have any flexion. But, I think I got some good work in.

Hack Squats

sled thingyx10
1 plate x10
1 1/2 platex10
2 plates x5
2 plates x5
2 plates x5
2 plates x5
1platex10
1platex10

Something like that. These things were really difficult, awkward positioning having no knees forward and just about complete depth. I'm guessing that's why it doesn't seem they have amazing carryover to squat strength....but far better than nothin'.

#13 Brandon

Brandon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

Went to the gym today to do some dumbbell work and such.

Flat Bench
75x5
100x5
110x10
110x10

Incline Bench
75x??
80x10
80x10

Seated Military DB's
50'sx10
50'sx10
50'sx10

Neutral Grip Pull ups (had to see how many I could do)
bwx25 ...not the best lol
x10
x8

That's all. Had to take it kinda easy today because of the foot. Hopefully I can deadlift and squat soon....

#14 vince318

vince318
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:25 AM

insane pushing numbers as always..lol I bet you come back and blow past old numbers once the foot heals

#15 Brandon

Brandon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

insane pushing numbers as always..lol I bet you come back and blow past old numbers once the foot heals

I sure hope so! We will see shortly. As long as I beat potato in the military press, I'll be happy enough for now

Today I went back into the gym for some more hack squats. They were not feeling real sore going into the workout, but as soon as I warmed up with the sled my legs were on fire! So, I couldn't really do all that I wanted.

Hack Squat
sledx5
1platex5
1.5platex5
1.5+10lbplatex5
2platesx5

So, in short, I matched what I did last time, but my legs are incredibly tore up. That's a good sign, but it was very difficult driving home.

Later today... some 1RM military pressing to see where I'm at in this race to 2 plates.

#16 Brandon

Brandon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

Did some rack pullin' from a lower position today. Maybe next week or the week after I can get back to pulling off the foor--we will see if my foot allows it.

Also, pulls before heavy bench was kinda lame, I was too pooped. So, I decided to try something a little different, and put a 35lb plate under the foot of the bench. This gave me a mini decline--not sure if it was enough to be worth mentioning.

Rack Pulls (below knee)
315x5
405x1
455x1
475x1
405x10?

slight Decline Bench
225x5
315x1
325x1
335x1

#17 Potato

Potato
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:28 AM

Thems rackpulls look pretty tough! What are the medals on the wall?

#18 vince318

vince318
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

killer pulls...bet your sore lol

#19 Brandon

Brandon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

Thems rackpulls look pretty tough! What are the medals on the wall?

Past powerlifting competitions, hung up all my stuff back there. Hoping to add more sometime soon :(

killer pulls...bet your sore lol

Yep! Feeling it today. Really felt it a lot in my glutes/hams at that height.

Gotta do some more of those hack squats soon, keep the legs strong.

#20 Brandon

Brandon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

Finally I was able to do some squatting. Foot didn't bother me too much, the heeled shoe seems to have helped a lot, keeping the weight off the damaged area.

Squats
barx10
barx8
95x5
135x5
185x5
225x5
225x5

That's all for squats. Was surprisingly tough, but I guess that's what happens when you ride the office chair for a few weeks on end. Form needs some dialing..and a little practice. All-in-all though I'm just happy to be back squatting!

In a little bit here, going to go to the gym and hit up some dumbbell benching work, with lots of volume.

Oh, and the plan is starting strength style progression on squats. I don't know the program through and through, but I think its 3x5 3x a week, adding weight on each workout or each week. I'll be adding on weight each workout until I peak out. Should get me to my old squat numbers fairly quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright 2014 LIFT, LLC